Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Final sprint

Very close now to having everything migrated and working perfectly.  The only thing that isn't great is that a VM needs to be re-copied over and of course it's the one that's like 200 GB. I tried using an external hard drive enclosure, as that would be about four times as fast as going over the local network, but the one we have isn't compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2. If that weren't enough the finicky drive on that server finally clicked it's last which means I only have one copy of this gigantic VM I need copied over so I'd better be quick about it.

So over the 100 Mbps network we go.  In case I ever need to robocopy a bunch of large files over a slow connection again: There's a robocopy flag called /IPG:xx that delays for xx milliseconds every 64k.  This shouldn't be very large (I'm using 10 here) but it breaks up the transfer enough that it doesn't totally overwhelm all other network traffic.

All said I should be able to put this project to bed pretty soon


No comments:

Post a Comment