Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Misc updates

My drive letter swap gambit worked great with one small exception.  The automatic nightly build failed that evening and I haven't figured out why or been able to reproduce what happened.  Things are working just fine now.

I've written a Powershell script to make it easier to remove computers from the domain.   Currently whenever bringing up a new version of a VM that shared a name with an old one there's an annoying process of removing it from the domain, rebooting, re-adding it to the domain, and rebooting one more time. To streamline the process I wrote the following:

  1. Import the Active Directory Module
    1. If that fails try and activate that feature using DISM
      1. If that fails give the user instructions on how to add the feature using Windows dialogues 
    2. Tries to import the Active Directory Module again
  2. Removes the given computer from the AD Directory
The script is meant to run on Desktop OSs because I haven't figured out how to get Active Directory tools for Powershell installed on a server that isn't a domain controller.  There's a group of features called ADRMS that looks promising but is a little outside my scope for now. 


One of my suspicions about the in-house build tool were confirmed by Bruce in that there's no known example of it running on anything other that Server 2003.  Bruce tackled it and got a version running on Server 2008 successfully but it broke compatibility with 2003 so we've reverted to the old version for now.  

Some of my hardware has arrived so I've got a small stack of drives and RAM at my workstation.

I can't wait for Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment